1. How often do I need to have my forklift serviced?
We recommend a lube service at least every 250 hours or a minimum of every 6 months, whichever comes first.
2. Why should I purchase an electric forklift versus a LPG forklift?
If you are working in cold conditions, like cold storage, we recommend using an electric forklift. LPG forklifts will give of fumes and heat and may impact the surrounding temperature. If you are working outdoors, either an IC engine or electric may be applicable – let our sales personnel review your needs and make a recommendation.
- Another alternative is natural gas
- Electric requires charging time versus LPG requires tank refills
PM = Preventative Maintenance, a program Atlantic offers to keep your equipment running at peak performance and minimize the chances of downtime due to any equipment failures. This includes outlined services: oil and filter change, battery check, fluids topped off, and over 50 other checks to keep your equipment running smoothly. The service is set up automatically and the equipment is serviced on a regular basis. PM Service is less than a service call and doesn’t take much time to complete.
4. When should I replace my forklift tires?
While there is no clear cut answer, some common responses are:
- When the tire is worn into the sidewall lettering
- When the tire is worn into the sidewall center bar
- When I can see sparks from the base band
- When the tire is worn about 50% down
Tire wear causes additional wear to forks, undercarriage, and steer axles, resulting in more expensive repairs later on.
5. Can I put holes in my forks for towing?
According to OSHA standards, it is not acceptable to put holes in your forks.
6. When do my forks NOT meet OSHA standards?
When 10% of the fork heel is worn – results in 20% loss of capacity
7. Can I safely use pallets to elevate my employees?
No, OSHA requires a safety man basket at all times for elevation
8. How can I load and unload a container when I don’t have a dock?
You can use a Mobile Yard Ramp
9. Is my order picker limited to using pallets?
No, there are many order platform designs that will help you with daily production
10. When should I buy a used forklift instead of a new one?
If you follow the rule of thumb, using a forklift 3-4 hours a day, you may be better-served with a used one. More than 4 hours a day, buying a new forklift would be most beneficial. If you are still unsure, we will evaluate your needs and make the best recommendation.
- Keep in mind, environment, hours used, emission restrictions, and general application may require the purchase of a new forklift
12. What kind of training is required to operate a forklift?
You’ll need a valid state driver’s license and on the job operator training. In addition, OSHA requires that each forklift operator completes forklift safety training. OSHA may even conduct surprise inspections and penalties for non-compliance can go up to $7,000. Visit www.osha.gov for more information on training compliance.
13. How do I know what size forklift to purchase?
Since this is based entirely on application, our sales people are trained to assist you in making the best decision.
14. Why should I purchase a Doosan over any other brand?
Doosan has over 40 years’ experience and are trusted by companies all over the world. They are also the only major manufacturer to offer 2 different truck ranges, giving you more choices. Doosan’s models offer the latest technology in the industry. They offer the longest brake warranty in the industry – 5 years or 10,000 hours – on any unit with wet disc brakes.
15. Can your company work on other brands of lift trucks?
Yes, our technicians are trained to work on all brands. Visit our Service page for the complete list.
16. If my forklift is down, what can I do?
You can rent one! We offer a wide range of sizes and types of forklifts to rent while yours is being repaired. Atlantic Forklift completes most repairs on site.
17. How much does it cost to have someone visit my site to discuss my needs?
There is no charge for a site visit to discuss your equipment needs.
18. What type of equipment is the best – gas, LPG, diesel, or electric?
This depends on the application; they each have their advantages and disadvantages. Gas, LPG, and diesel will have more variable power, more torque, and can be refueled anywhere, BUT they require more maintenance and emit noticeable emissions. Electrics are fume free, require less maintenance, they run quietly and cleanly, and they are easy to use. They do, however, need an 8 hour recharge time when it runs out of power (it must be returned to the charger).
19. Can I put pneumatic tires on a solid tire forklift?
Generally no, frame differences may not allow the increased space to install – call for a visit to verify what can be done. Different tire compounds produced today offer a number of solutions to tire requirements.
20. Do you inspect the forklifts prior to selling?
Yes, we determine how it will operate and make any necessary repairs. New trucks go through a factory specified inspection prior to being delivered. Atlantic Forklift’s used lifts are inspected based on a rigorous program to be absolutely sure that the truck meets your expectations.